Mongolian Lifestyle

People of Mongolia

Mongolians and people of Mongolia

Mongols - People of Mongolia

Mongolia is a landlocked country in East Asia, and the region has been ruled by many nomadic empires over its history, including Genghis Khan, who founded the Mongol Empire.
According to data from the statistic organization of the country, Mongolia had a population of 3,171,860 as of 2019.
Nearly 95% of the population is comprised of ethnic Mongols, consisting of the Khalkha and other groups distinguished by dialects of the language. The Khalkha people make up 86% of the ethnic Mongols in the country, and the remaining 14% is comprised of the Oirats, Buryats and a few others.
The official language of the country is Mongolian, which is spoken by approximately 95% of the population. The population of the country as a whole is relatively young, with the average age being 27.5 years. About 59% of Mongolia’s residents are under the age of 30, while over a quarter of that population is under the age of 14. The young population, coupled with a growth rate of 1.31%, has put a strain on the country’s economy.
At more than one million, youth aged 15–34 years represent the largest demographic group in Mongolia, accounting for 34.9 percent of the resident population in 2018 and a significant share of the people of working age. Even by 2040, when the country’s population is expected to reach 4 million, an estimated 29 percent will be in the 15–34 age-group.

Nomads of the country
Steppe nomads have been living the same lifestyle for thousands of years. Although scattered in a vast land, these people were always connected to each other and this mindset and lifestyle are installed in the behavior of Mongols. Friendly to each other and very hospitable even to strangers.
Mongolian people consider every Mongolian ethic people as “brothers and sisters” regardless if they personally know them or not. This friendly and hospitable behavior is one of the most famous characteristics of Mongolian people. When another, migrating family pass by, host brings tea and snacks for them to greet and give directions. If they are not in a hurry, staying for the night is always welcome. In the morning, the host prepares meals for the road and sees them off. This applies to any stranger who might stumble along a family.
Nomadic people always cooperate with each other. Starting from keeping tabs on whose livestock is where and directing them if it’s lost, exchanging information about which land is suitable for grazing and so on. When a Mongolian person has to go away for a long time, they do not have to prepare days’ worth of supply, nor do they have the capacity to slaughter an animal every time they have to set off. They only take some snacks, knife, cup, tinder-flint and steel.
People along the way will welcome him and treat someone on a long journey, for it is an unwritten rule. All this is considered a social norm among Mongolians, so a simple thank you is enough. This was also a way to gather information. Nomads live far away from each other in a secluded area with only way of hearing some news was through the travelers that come along. Mongolian people prefer to think before speaking and generally frown upon causing unnecessary drama or unloyalty behavior. Folk saying “haste makes waste” is the perfect definition of Mongolian behavior.

Back to list