National Road Transport Bus Center in Mongolia
Road transport is one of the three modes of transport. This consists of road, water, and air. As a landlocked country, road transport is inevitable part of Mongolia’s life. National Road Transport center is a nationwide transport/ bus service to organize interstate and intercity public passenger and freight, postal, and tourist transportation services. bus service in Mongolia
Normally, local bus service schedules are updated monthly in Mongolia. But the general schedule is the same. Specifically, every morning at 7:30 am or 8 am and every evening 4 pm or 5 pm, it usually transports people and cargo from the capital Ulaanbaatar to all provinces’ centers and from every province’s center to Ulaanbaatar, as well as to Gusino Ozersk, Kyakhta and Ulan-Ude in Russia and comes back. Sometimes there is no evening shift and you can see the schedule for the next month from the following link: https://eticket.transdep.mn/ , Tel.: +976-1900-1234 bus service in Mongolia
In terms of price, intercity transportation within Mongolia usually costs between MNT 20,000 and MNT 90,000, depending on how far you are traveling. So you can buy paper bus tickets from bus centers in Ulaanbaatar and other provinces or online from the link above. After payment, you can print your order information by clicking on the “Check order information / Ebarimt” button on the window of the website. So that, the driver checks your order form when you get on the bus. So it’s a good idea to print it out or take a screenshot on your phone or device when you’re busy. Also, make sure that your ID and ticket information match correctly. bus service in Mongolia
In each center of the provines, there is one bus centers you can buy tickets and get in a bus. However, depending which province you go from the Ulaanbaatar city, there are 2 locations of bus centers where you can get in a bus. Addresses are below:
- To western & northern provinces: Dragon center, Moscow street-139, 29th Khoroo, Songino-Khairkhan district
- To eastern and southern provinces: Tenger Plaza, 13th Khoroo, Bayanzurkh district
The most common bus routes for tourists
International public transport services:
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia – Ulaan-Ud, Russia
The bus leaves from Dragon Center every day at 7:30 and at 19:00 on Friday and Sunday. From Ulaan-Ud, time table is same but local time. The price is from 48,000MNT – 70,000MNT, depending on city you get off the bus.
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia – Manjuur, China
There is no bus leaving from Ulaanbaatar to Manjuur directly which means you need to change the bus on the way. Firstly, you need to get Kherlen sum in Dornod Province. The bus leaves from Tenger Plaza in Ulaanbaatar every day at 08:00, 13:00, and 18:00. Kherlen sum is 658 km away from Ulaanbaatar and the price is 33,000MNT. Then change the bus to Manjuur, the bus leaves from Kherlen sum on Monday to Friday at 7:30 and the price is around 50,000MNT.
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia – Ereen, China
From the Tenger Plaza in Ulaanbaatar, the bus leaves every day at 7:00 and 21:00. The price is 55,000MNT.
Intercity public transport services:
- Ulaanbaatar – Murun
The bus leaves from Ulaanbaatar every day at 8:00, 15:00 and 18:00 and the price is 36,000MNT. It is 788 km far away from Ulaanbaatar city and takes around 16 hours to get there. To Hatgal from Ulaanbaatar, the bus leaves only on Saturday at 20:00 and from Hatgal to Ulaanbaatar, the bus leaves only on Monday at 20:000, also the price is little higher.
- Ulaanbaatar – Dalanzadgad
The bus leaves from Tenger Plaza in Ulaanbaatar at 20:00 on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. From Dalanzadgad to Ulaanbaatar, the bus leaves at 20:00 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Ulaanbaatar – Karakorum
From Dragon Center, the bus leaves every day at 11:00 and 14:00 and 365 km away from the Ulaanbaatar city. From Karakorum sum, time table is same. The price is 19,000MNT.
- Ulaanbaatar – Bayan-Ulgii
The bus leaves from Dragon center in Ulaanbaatar every day at 13:00. Bayan-Ulgii is 1709 km far away from Ulaanbaatar and takes around 32 hours. The price is 85,000MNT. From Bayan-Ulgii, time table is same.
- Each bus routes have several stops including groceries and toilets. In Mongolia, there are various toilet style: In the cities, toilet styles in building are identical to those in US: sit-down flush toilets and in the ger district and countryside there are squat toilets – has 3 walls, roof, a tall door and the floor has 1-2 boards and missing one in the middle making a gap over which you can squad.
- There is no toilet papers, so kindly bring along toilet paper with you just in case. Any of the buses do not have toilet inside, but a bus stops for 10-20 minutes every 2-3 hours for people to rest and use toilets when it reaches any sum or province on the way.
- On the most of routes, bus stops at local cafeteria for having lunch or dinner. But it is highly recommending to buy snack and drink. You do not want to be thirsty along the way, do you?